It has been a source of encouragement for me all my life, but especially in the hard seasons, like cancer and after losing our son, Jacob.
I remember sitting in the hospital bed, weary of the cancer treatment back in 1998, tears streaming down my face, as I sang the lyrics to a song we sang in church, Dennis Jernigan’s “You are my all in all”. To this day, that is a cherished memory from an otherwise bleak time in my life.
Then, fast forward to 2015, and our world was rocked by The Accident. We lost our youngest son, Jacob, in a drunk driving accident. We almost lost our oldest son, Caleb, but God spared him. (Thank you, Jesus!) And once again, music began vital to processing life for me.
I was going through some old files a while back and came across a short playlist I’d created shortly afterward:
- “Sweet Victory”, Trip Lee
- “Speak Life”, Toby Mac
- “Blessed Be Your Name”, Matt Redman
- “Beautiful Offering”, Big Daddy Weave
- “Home”, Chris Tomlin
- “There will be a day,” Jeremy Camp
- “You Keep Hope Alive”, Mandisa
- “Battle is the Lord’s”, Rebecca St. James
- “Who am I?’, Needtobreathe
- “Battle belongs”, Phil Wickham
- “Matter”, For King & Country
What about you, friend? What are some of your favorite spirit-lifting songs? Share below!
Always in hope,